So Go Write Already

One of my students said something about writing and the teaching of writing that resonated with me.  She said, basically, that every writing teacher says the same thing in different ways.

What is it that we say? Finger-blank-paper-25643-l

The way to become a writer is to write.

The big secret is that there is no secret.

It's all about putting words on the page.

Now, every writing teacher, myself included, has come up with various tips and tricks to get yourself to the page.  But they are all variations on a theme.

The theme being, go write.

So what are you doing reading this blog post?  Go write, already.  You could start by writing a comment about what most often keeps you from the page.

Create a successful, inspired writing life: You know what I'm going to say.  Go write.

Photo by OmirOnia.

12 Responses to So Go Write Already

1. Zan Marie 04/20/2012 at 05:33 #

Giggle! Yes, ma’am! ; )

2. Charlotte Dixon 04/20/2012 at 07:03 #

Zan Marie, I’m glad you take orders so well. :-)

3. Melissa Marsh 04/20/2012 at 15:47 #

What keeps me from the page? My own stubbornness. I honestly don’t know why it takes me so long to open that Word document. Some days are better than others.

Off to open it now…thanks for the needed shove! 😉

4. Charlotte Dixon 04/20/2012 at 16:32 #

Isn’t that funny how it happens? I’ll be procrastinating away and then when I finally do get to the page, I’m thinking, why did it take me so long to get here? I LOVE this. Weird human quirks.

5. J.D. 04/21/2012 at 05:05 #

Come on, Charlotte, it’s got to be more complicated than that. You know the REAL secret, you’re just not saying. I’ve run the bulls in Pamplona; I’ve jumped a whaling ship; I’ve lived in a mansion with a light on the pier. What is it I’m missing? Tell me!

6. Charlotte Dixon 04/21/2012 at 07:01 #

J.D., you’re so funny. Consider the secret to be similar to that expressed in the Wizard of Oz. You can travel far to find it, but it is really with you all the time.

7. J.D. 04/21/2012 at 15:55 #

Good answer, Chartlotte.

8. Charlotte Dixon 04/21/2012 at 16:14 #

Thanks, J.D.

9. Nate Barham 04/21/2012 at 18:16 #

What keeps me from writing? Mostly my kids, and they are the best distraction in the world, my day job, which I also enjoy, and my own psychological delusion that I work better in the morning.

10. Charlotte Dixon 04/21/2012 at 21:10 #

Nate, I have that same delusion–the one about writing best in the morning.  Speaking only for myself, I think its an excuse I use not to work on my novel later in the day.  It's weird.  Glad I'm not the only one with it.

11. Milli Thornton 04/23/2012 at 15:03 #

Loved this post! Yes, I find a zillion ways to say the same thing to my students and coaching clients: just write. Of course, it teaches me a lot, too. But, you’re right. There is no secret. Write to find out what you know, write to find out what’s hiding in your imagination. Write to get better at it. Write to shed the “right” way to do it. Write, write, write, because to not do so is a tragic waste of our creative gifts.

12. Charlotte Dixon 04/30/2012 at 10:09 #

Thanks, Milli. I love that line, “because to not do so is a tragic waste of our creative gifts.”