I’m Upset, But Okay

There was another school shooting today.  This one was quite close to my home, as was the Clackamas Town Center shooting a year or so ago.  Even though I honestly think that the best thing to do is just not publicize these things, in the interest of informing you, here's a link.

One of my dear readers, J.D. Frost, emailed me to inquire if I was okay and I realized I better post something to say that all is well.  At least for me.  But certainly not for the families of those who were shot.

I'm actually out of town at the Unity People's Convention in Kansas City, but my phone lit up with texts from family and friends this morning letting me know what was happening.  It's a bit surreal to be at this conference, surrounded by the most positive of people dedicated to changing the world, while this is going on in my hometown.

You guys, this has to stop.  I don't know how, but it has to.  What can we do?  I don't know. Suggestions?  At this point, anything will help.

Thank you for your concern.  Hug and kiss your loved ones and know that I love all of you so much–and these cyber connections are not to be taken lightly.  Anytime, anyplace, anyway we can make connections and spread light and love is important in these days.

Maybe that's what we can do.  Go spread light and love.

Okay?

, ,

13 Comments on "I’m Upset, But Okay"

J.D.
J.D.
06/11/2014 04:08

I’m happy to see you are well. That meeting may be the best place you can be. How to stop it? I think we have way too many guns. As responsible gun owners, we as a nation have failed.

D young
D young
06/11/2014 05:44

In the words of a friends Facebook post this am (I presume in regards to this occurrence) “we need God in this country….when people figure this out, the news headlines will reflect that. Until then, this is what we have in the absence of God…”

I don’t know about you, but I believe this to an extent. If morals and consciousness and accountability was more a part of everyone’s daily lives- it would be better. The regard for human life has become secondary. How do we get it back? I think God is a good first step.

D young
D young
06/11/2014 05:45

And thankful you are ok Char…..praying for your community…

D young
D young
06/11/2014 05:47

Guns are not the problem. Mental health issues are at an all time high in this country. We need to take care of our people.

06/11/2014 05:48

We sure have failed. I agree completely and yet it is difficult to bring up the topic without people getting all upset that they are going to lose their right to bear arms. I’m all for personal rights–but we’ve got to deal with this issue one way or another.

06/11/2014 05:49

I do actually agree with you, D. I’m fine with bringing God into the picture, though I also think we need to be open-minded about it and let people bring God into the picture in HIs many guises and be inclusive of all paths. I’m actually at the national convention of my church as I write this, so that tells you something. Thanks for chiming in.

06/11/2014 05:49

Thank you, my dear D.

06/11/2014 06:15

I do actually agree with you loud and strong, D!  I know bringing God into the equation freaks some people out, but I'm good with it.  Really good with it, actually.  Thanks for commenting.

06/11/2014 06:18

Thank you, my dear reader.

Leigh Lauck
06/11/2014 13:29
Charlotte, I’m so glad you are all right, but like you, I’m sad and upset. It’s hard to comprehend what can only be described as a horrific trend. When I was growing up, school had its perils, but ultimately, it was a safe place. I don’t understand the mindset that makes a person feel entitled to take the life of another. The issues are complex, but the result is tragedy, over and over again. If only we could be made more aware of our connection to others, our shared humanity, if we could look into the faces of strangers and… Read more »
Don Williams
Don Williams
06/11/2014 19:45

Glad you are safe! When ever I hear of something happening in Portland I always first think of you. Not far from here, 5 police officers were shot, including three dead. The problem, of course, isn’t guns but some of the idiots who use them. The only thing we know for sure these days, is that we can never really be sure of anything!

06/11/2014 21:13

I wish I had answers, too, Leigh, but I really don’t. I guess none of us do. I don’t understand how a fascination with guns (as the shooter in this case had) translates to wanting to go kill people–and then yourself. I just don’t get it. And yeah, I think the whole connecting thing is vital. So many feel completely disconnected.

06/11/2014 21:15

Aw, thank you, Don. I did follow that story about the police officers being shot but I didn’t realize it was so close to you–my ignorance of Canadian geography and I apologize. I love your last line–the only thing we know for sure is that we can never be sure of anything. The older I get, the more I know that is true.