Inventive Writing Post Round-up #19

Here's the latest collection of prompts from my Tumblr blog.  You will note that a couple are missing. That's because I was forgot so busy.  You can also find more here.

#131 "Oh God, I’m so overwhelmed, things are slipping through the cracks and I’m missing appointments," she said.

"Get yourself organized, then," he said, reasonably enough.

"But how?"

#132 Use the words ice, red, and sailboat in a sentence.  Then use that sentence as your prompt.

#133  Prince Harry just revealed he gets terribly nervous before speaking in public, no matter how big or small the crowd.  What does your protagonist fear? What makes her break out in a sweat just to think about doing?

#134  He couldn’t believe how forgetful he was getting.  Losing his car keys was one thing, but forgetting how to drive home from work was quite another.  And then there was the time that….

#135  "All these Christmas parties are wearing me out," she sighed.  "Especially when they come out like the last one."

"What happened?"

"Well," she said, "first my date danced on the table with a lampshade on his head and then…."

Is Christmas in full swing at your house?  What are your favorite Christmas traditions or activities?

13 Comments on "Inventive Writing Post Round-up #19"

J.D.
J.D.
12/07/2014 05:51

“I waited in the sailboat while she came walking in huge sunglasses, carrying a drink of something red over ice.” That makes me think of summer which I miss so terribly bad. I want it to be so damned hot, even at 8 in the morning, she would hold the bloody mary to her forehead.
Forget 133. Prince Harry is way too brave, too cool. That guy doesn’t sweat.

J.D.
J.D.
12/07/2014 06:55

Good weather for Ducks.

12/07/2014 06:59

We thrive in it, as Friday night indicated.  🙂

Dyoung
12/08/2014 05:54

Good work on #132, JD.
The sentence reminds me of something I once read in a book, but I can’t for the life of me remember the author.

J.D.
J.D.
12/08/2014 09:41

“Something red over ice . . .” Has to be a bloody mary. Now you only have to remember which of your authors drinks vodka instead of wine. Oh that’s right, you don’t read mysteries, so hard liquor may be off the table.

12/08/2014 09:49

Hey, guys, don't romance characters drink alcohol?  My characters sure do!  Okay, so I'm more women's fiction than romance, but still!

J.D.
J.D.
12/08/2014 10:07

Yes, I would say it is difficult to truly fall in love without being drunk.

12/08/2014 10:10

Oh, you are so funny.  I'm sure your wife thinks so, too.  Does she know about this theory of yours?

J.D.
J.D.
12/08/2014 10:17

Hum, I’ll explain it to her tonight over a glass of wine. I think of Emma Jean as literary. Is Women’s Fiction a genre?

12/08/2014 10:20

The wine should help.  I take that as a compliment that you think of Emma Jean as literary.  And women's fiction is a genre–we have an association (Women's Fiction Writer's Association) and everything!  Though, I have to admit, most people are like you, unaware of the genre.  I took my books to a bookstore this weekend and she asked me to explain women's fiction.  I stumbled and stuttered and didn't come up with a very good explanation.  I need to work on that.

Dyoung
12/09/2014 05:38

I don’t read romance. I’ve heard it called chick-lit before…adult novels. Not romance.

Give me rum, give me gin. Otherwise white wine it is.

Dyoung
12/09/2014 05:40

“My” author drinks wine on occasion….
As do I.

12/09/2014 09:56

I don't read romance in the strict sense of it either–like Harlequin or those kinds of books.  But some of the books I read are confusingly classified as such.  So, who knows.