Writing Accomplishments for 2009

Fireworks_gunpowder_rocket_269279_l
It is the second to last day of the year, and a fitting time to mull your accomplishments in writing over the past year.  So have at it, what were they?  I want to hear the big, the small, the in-between, all of 'em.  Fork them over, lay them down, share them for all to hear!

I have one big achievement that stands out for me:

I finished my flippin' novel!

And by finished I mean eight drafts, and it is as done as I can make it for now.  I'm satisfied with it and proud of it, actually.  I think it has an excellent chance of getting published.

So now tell me your proudest writing accomplishments.  Hell, list a gazillion of them if you want to.  Let's beat our chests and celebrate and then let that momentum carry us into a successful new year

13 Comments on "Writing Accomplishments for 2009"

janet
12/30/2009 18:36

i have 5 chapters of my chapter book. i started a writing group. i attended two writing retreats, one with YOU! i started a social media, marketing and brand strategy blog. i have a long way to go, but i’m on the good foot, as they say.

12/30/2009 21:47

I’d say most people would be delighted with those accomplishments, Janet–awesome. And I consider meeting YOU and learning so much about social media one of the best things that happened to me this year!

Jessica
12/31/2009 01:12
Fantastic to hear about your novel! 🙂 I finished a first draft in a month and a half, the first time I’ve actually got all the way through a full length novel first draft. (If I can shave half a month off my time I’ll be ready for NaNoWriMo next year.) I also started a blog based on my novel idea. To add to my list, I wrote a ‘teaser’ for another novel I’m working on, which was some of the best writing I’ve ever done. And I bit the proverbial bullet a couple of weeks ago, sending some pieces… Read more »
Derek
Derek
12/31/2009 00:08

I simply kept writing last year. Nothing major like finishing a novel – congratulations by the way! I have learned a lot about creating key-word rich content and in the last couple of months have started writing product reviews. Now to me, that is an accomplishment because it is me doing something that I don’t particularly enjoy doing!

I am currently in mind of a saying that used to be uttered by a Mrs. Edwards, our English teacher in school… “The moving finger writes, and having written, writes on” I wonder if she was into Zen! Happy New Year!

12/31/2009 07:45
Derek, simply writing all year is what it is all about, so good for you! And yes, it is very Zen. Also, learning SEO is a real feat, I could stand to do some work on that. Jessica, congratulations to you on finishing a full length draft. That is huge! Now the real fun begins…revising it. I mean that, I love rewriting, it is when the true meat of the story comes out. And how great that you are going into 2010 feeling like a career writer. Thanks to both of you for the congratulations to me.
Christi
12/31/2009 08:18

Charlotte,
This year was huge for me!

I finished my novel, got an agent, started my blog/website, and joined a really great critique group!

Thanks again,
Christi

12/31/2009 09:26

Christi, You did have a huge year, congratulations! I hope to join you in the getting an agent part. I hope 2010 is even better for you!

Lynn Jordan--Authors Tools Blog

Charlotte, it’s so great that you finished your book, especially during such a traumatic year! I expect you to announce a pub date soon.

I did more with non-fiction than I did with fiction. I wrote lots of articles, sold some of them. I kept writing on the blog and growing my list. I contributed to a collection of experts project that was just published.

Let’s all make this next year GREAT!!!

01/01/2010 20:02

Lynn, I know you dealt with a lot of stuff this year, too. And even if you hadn’t, your list would be impressive. I agree, let’s work together to support each other however we can to make this a truly wonderful year.

rebecca
01/04/2010 15:12

Biggest accomplishment of the year was that I attended my first semester at the local university and took 3 classes and received high grades in all of them. Working my way to a degree in English Literature. Charlotte, in a way it’s thanks to you. It’s something you said, the fact that you have an MFA and a writing business. All things I’m looking to do. Hope all your goals are successful. Keep up the great posts.

01/04/2010 16:13

Oh, Rebecca, thank you, you just made my day, actually, my whole week! What a great way to start out the new year, with the thought that maybe in some petite way I was an inspiration to you. I’m so pleased. And congratulations on starting your degree and doing so well in your classes. With that kind of start, I know that you will attain all your goals.

Beth Ziesenis
01/06/2010 10:02

Oh, forget about what my writing accomplishments have been… I want to celebrate yours!

From Sunny San Diego, I send you the biggest, loudest, most overly dramatic standing ovation I can project into cyberspace.

YEA YOU!

01/06/2010 10:39

Thank you so much, Beth! I’m basking in your kudos. I’m quite sure you have some great writing accomplishments, also, so I send cheers right back to you!