If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

As most of you know, I've written several novels and have been obsessively heavily marketing the most recent one, Emma Jean's Bad Behavior.

Over and over again, I get the same response from agents:  We love it.  But…

• But Emma Jean is too brash.
  • But Emma Jean is unlikeable (because she does what she wants and says what she wants).
  • But Emma Jean gets drunk on airplanes.

So on Saturday evening, when I got home from a day-long retreat and casually checked my email on my phone while talking to my husband, I found a message from a small publishing house to which I'd submitted.  I thought it was going to say the same thing as all the rest.  Because it started the same way:

Thanks for submitting your novel, Emma Jean's Bad Behavior to us.  We love it……

Wait.  There was no but.

I read further.

We love it and we'd like to include it on our 2013 publishing list.

Wait.  What?

It took me a minute to figure out what the email was saying.  But once I did, it dawned on me: they want to publish my novel! (I've re-read the email a million times since then, making sure I didn't misunderstand it or that the words didn't rearrange themselves on the screen.)

This is a small publishing house but one that emphasizes literary quality and, the part I love the most, the "anti-heroine."  That is our girl, Emma Jean.  I don't have any details yet, and I'll share them with you as I get them, too.  Let me just say for now that I'm very happy–Saturday night there was quite the spontaneous celebration around here!

I love this book and it makes me so happy that it is going to see the light of day at last.  This feels like a door opening to me–one I've been knocking on forever.  I'm going through it full force, and I invite you to come along.  I'll be sharing every aspect of the process with you over the next few months. On Wednesday, for starters,  I'll tell you more about how it came about.

Thank you for being loyal readers–blogging is as much my love as writing books, and it is wonderful to have an audience for my ramblings.  I appreciate each and every one of you SO much.

Create a successful, inspired writing life: No matter what your writing goals, keep at it!  Take another step toward your goal today.  If I can do it, you can do it!

Photo by ugaldew.

, , ,

26 Responses to If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

1. Square-Peg Karen 03/12/2012 at 11:40 #

I am SO happy for and with you, Charlotte; this is beautiful news! And I cannot wait to meet Emma Jean – she sounds like my kinda gal!!

2. Carole Jane Treggett 03/12/2012 at 11:42 #

Oh, Charlotte!

I’m so,so happy and excited for you. This is fantastic news!

I’m moved to tears how even in this new blush of excitement,you take the time to think of us and encourage us to keep at it, even today. You are the best,woman!

Can’t wait to read Emma Jean’s Bad Behavior 😀

3. Melissa Marsh 03/12/2012 at 12:14 #

Many, many congratulations!!! Looking forward to reading it!

4. Charlotte Dixon 03/12/2012 at 12:21 #

Karen, Carole Jane, and Melissa, Thank you all so much. Truly my blog readers are my online family and you all mean so much to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

5. Sandra / Always Well Within 03/12/2012 at 14:25 #

Congratulations Charlotte! I’m SO happy for you! I appreciate your energy, enthusiasm, and generosity. I’m delighted this good fortunate – that you worked hard for – is coming your way.

6. Charlotte Dixon 03/12/2012 at 14:31 #

Thanky you so much, Sandra! I am so glad you and I got connected.

7. Elizabeth Marie 03/12/2012 at 15:25 #

I’m laughing with joy for you. This is such good news. Rah! This post made me laugh. So human. So real.

8. Charlotte Dixon 03/12/2012 at 15:28 #

Oh thank you, Elizabeth Marie, thanks for sharing my joy! Believe me there were times when I never thought this would actually happen.

9. Don 03/12/2012 at 18:05 #

Congrats on Emma Jean Charlotte. Emma Jean’s Bad Behavior sounds like it will be real good book! There seems to be something about bad girls that really brings out the best in a character, so I can’t wait to hear more on her!

10. Charlotte Dixon 03/12/2012 at 19:32 #

Thanks, Don. Your loyal support means the world to me.

11. Jessica Baverstock 03/12/2012 at 20:36 #

How exciting! I’m very, very pleased for you. 😀

12. J.D. 03/13/2012 at 04:35 #

That is such wonderful news, Charlotte. Congratulations! It is really something to be proud of. I am really happy for you.

13. Zan Marie 03/13/2012 at 06:52 #

Whoo Hooo, Charlotte! Confetti and champagne for you! ; )

14. Patrick Ross 03/13/2012 at 07:15 #

Holy $#!*, Charlotte, that’s fantastic! I’m so happy for you, and happy that you have an online community with which to share the news. I look forward to the details. Also, how great they want to include it on their 2013 pub list. It’s not uncommon that it can take YEARS to finally reach publication after acceptance.

15. Charlotte Dixon 03/13/2012 at 07:46 #

J.D., Zan Marie, and Jessica–thanks guys! It is so great to receive congrats from my loyal readers, I love you guys!

Patrick, I love you, too, but wanted to single your comment out to respond to. I think the 2013 pub date is a result of this being a small press. It is going to be an interesting experience to go with a small press and see how it differs from other publishing, which I also hope to experience. I’ll keep you all posted!

16. Jessica McCann 03/13/2012 at 08:48 #

Congrats, Charlotte! I love books with characters who break the stereo-typical mold. So happy you stuck by your guns and found a publisher who loves Emma Jean as much as you do. Looking forward to hearing more about the book as your publishing dream unfolds!

17. Charlotte Dixon 03/13/2012 at 10:17 #

Thanks so much, Jessica!

18. Jenni Gainsborough 03/13/2012 at 12:15 #

Wonderful news! Like everyone else I can’t wait to read it. Emma Jean sounds like my kind of woman.

19. David Paine 03/13/2012 at 13:10 #

This is not merely huge. This is gi-goonda! No cocktails next time you hit Nashvegas. Champagne instead.

20. Charlotte Dixon 03/13/2012 at 13:16 #

Jenni, thank you! And I like to think she is your kind of woman–strong and creative and kick-ass!

David, I’ll be in Nash in July for Janet’s YA conference. We MUST get together, I miss you. And I’ll happily take whatever kind of spirits you want to foist on me.

21. Kate 03/13/2012 at 18:28 #

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

I can totally see me rereading an email like that just to be sure.

What exciting news.

22. Casey McGinty 03/13/2012 at 21:08 #

Awesome news Charlotte! Congratulations. The first time I come to your blog and I find this post! Two years ago you shared this journey at the Spring Room To Write in Nashville. I am inspired by your fortitude…holding true to your convictions about your story and hanging-in there with your submissions. I miss Room To Write and your inspirational voice, but I’ll visit your blog when I can.

23. Charlotte Dixon 03/14/2012 at 08:39 #

Casey, I wondered if that was you! I’m so happy you came by. I remember our conversations at Room to Write very well. Hope that all is well with you and your writing and I’d love it if you came by the blog once in awhile. It is great to hear from you and thanks for the congrats.

24. Charlotte Dixon 03/14/2012 at 08:41 #

Thanks, Kate. To tell the truth, several days later I’m still re-reading the email to make sure! Thanks for stopping by.

25. Suzanne C. Robertson 03/15/2012 at 08:37 #