Question, Question, You’ve Got Writing Questions? I’ve Got Answers

Question-trade-world-11479-lI had a brainstorm yesterday.

As is my wont (for some reason I absolutely love that phrase), I was visiting my usual haunts on the internet, among them the Pioneer Woman's blog.  And there I found that she is putting on her advice columnist hat and answering questions about reader's problems.

And the thought occurred that I could do the same thing.  Only about writing.  Or getting inspired to write.  Or maintaining a writing practice.  Or my upcoming classes.  Or my coaching.  Or any of the gazillion things we talk about on this blog.

So, here's the deal.  If you have a question about an aspect of writing, write it out in the comments below.   Make sure you're signed up so your name and blog name appear so I can give you a shout-out, and why don't you throw in a bit about what you're working on?  (If you'd rather be anonymous, send me your question via email with Writing Question in the subject line so I don't miss it.)

I'll gather up your questions and do my best to answer them, starting next week.  If I've got a long answer, it'll make up one post.  Short answers will be grouped.  And if I don't know the answer to something, I'll do my best to steer you to a resource that will.

So come on, now.  Don't be shy.  What are your writing questions?

, , ,

14 Comments on "Question, Question, You’ve Got Writing Questions? I’ve Got Answers"

06/15/2012 17:45

Great idea! I can’t think of anything right now but I’m sure I have some questions!

J.D.
06/16/2012 05:08

I know that I am over-thinking this. I know this is a sure way to kill voice, still this question jumps up and down and waves at me from the back of the crowd. When writing in first person, can I stay in active voice without beginning every sentence with I?

06/16/2012 07:20

Please feel free to ask any time!

06/16/2012 07:23

Ohhh, good question J.D.  It is really timely for me, because I just switched over to first person from third person myself and I'm painfully aware of how often that I gets in there.  I'll answer this one next week.

06/16/2012 11:56

OK, I’ll play. How would you describe the balance you find between teaching writing and doing your own writing? I’m wondering if the process of working with other writers, and more specifically other writers’ prose, interferes with your own writing process.

06/16/2012 12:15

Oooh, I'm loving these questions.  Thanks, Patrick, I'll answer this one next week, too.

06/16/2012 12:54

New to your blog. Also a teacher/artist/writer and looking forward to your response to Patrick’s question.

06/16/2012 16:54

Welcome, Terri, it is nice to meet you.  Thanks for taking the time to comment and look for the answer to Patrick's question next week.

Karen Phillips
06/17/2012 04:18

If an important character doesn’t come in until later in story, do you need to introduce it (this character is a dog) somewhere in the first or second chapter? I read in Stephen King’s On Writing that you should introduce them early on, but would love to hear your thoughts. I’m struggling with this because of the chronological issues.

J.D.
06/17/2012 05:07

I like this question.

06/17/2012 07:39

Another excellent question.  Will put it in the queue to answer, thanks!

06/18/2012 10:07

I agree good question. Since I write nearly exclusively in first, I’ll say don’t focus on what your POV character is doing, but what they are preceiving.

06/19/2012 13:41

Do you really want all my questions? I could write a book with the many that I have. I will limit myself to one here. As a freelance writer, magazine submission say query with clips. Is it now acceptable to consider guest posting on e-zine sites on the internet as clips?

06/19/2012 15:04

Hey Rebecca, can you clarify what you mean, exactly, by guest posting on e-zine sites? Maybe a site like Ezine Articles?  My rule of thumb is to submit clips that are as similar to what you're querying as possible. So if you're querying a website, send web articles, and so forth.  I realize this isn't always possible and in that case, use what you've got.