Inventive Writing Prompt Round-up #11

Your weekly collection of writing prompts from my Tumblr blog:

#75  Getting ready to leave is hard, but coming home and unpacking is even harder.

#76  "You don’t realize how a lack of sleep affects you until you have a good night’s sleep," she said.  Then she yawned and smiled.

#77

I can’t.

Yes you can.

No I can’t.

You you can and will.

What is it they can’t do and why?

#78  When in Rome, do as the Romans do, but never, ever….

#79  Autumn is my favorite time of year, with all the fall colors and the crisp air. I find it invigorating.  But others find this time of year, with everything dying, depressing.   What’s your opinion (or the opinion of your character)?  And while you’re at it, what’s your favorite season and why?

#80  The thing you’re most proud of.  Go.

#81  What she said.

What's your current writing project and how is it going?

19 Comments on "Inventive Writing Prompt Round-up #11"

Zan Marie
10/13/2014 06:22

Another fine list to add to my collection!

10/13/2014 07:06

Thanks, Zan Marie! And I’m excited you are working on Mother’s Day–I like that title. Good luck with the ACFW contest!

J.D.
J.D.
10/14/2014 04:00

My current WIP is the sequel to DOLLFACE. I am being taught a rookie lesson and experience is such a good teacher. I saw the story. I even have an outline. That is a far, far cry from writing the book. But I am plugging along, halfway through the first draft.

10/14/2014 06:36

That is so great, J.D. Halfway through is fantastic. And I’m glad you’re writing a sequel to DOLLFACE. Loved it.

Dyoung
10/14/2014 08:49

I’m still loving #77…that internal argument we all have!

Dyoung
10/14/2014 08:50

Good for you!

10/14/2014 09:29

Hi Donna! How are you?

Dyoung
10/14/2014 09:39

Great, thanks! Busy. But aren’t we all?!

Trying to settle into a fall routine:)

10/14/2014 09:43

I know, I’ve been struggling since I got back from France a couple weeks ago. But I’m feeling more and more organized!

J.D.
J.D.
10/14/2014 20:28
I have to write things as I remember them lol. Charlotte, I’m so glad you’re back. D’s comments about #77 set me thinking. My book was at least a wee bit flawed. The characters in DOLLFACE needed a little more, well, character. I am making an effort to fatten them a bit in the sequel. When I read–I think anyway–I learn about the characters through the way they react when in situations. As a writer to guide their reactions I must know what they believe. And if there is a piece of me in the protagonist, if he is in… Read more »
Dyoung
10/15/2014 05:35

Glad you’re back!

10/15/2014 05:50

Thanks, J.D., I’m glad to be back and chatting with you, too! I remember once telling a mentor how I’d figured out you have to know about life to be a writer. Same goes for yourself–you’ve got to know that person, too! It’s why writing can be scary at times, I think.

10/15/2014 05:51

Thank you!

Dyoung
10/15/2014 06:51

To uncover our characters we must first uncover ourselves as writers. That being said- opens a huge door of possible doubt. Or egotism. But good writers don’t have egos. Or at least they aren’t stuck on them. The right level of doubt and ego is needed. But getting to the depths and being truthful can be scary. But you gotta get thru the bad to uncover the good.

J.D.
J.D.
10/15/2014 10:05

For me, part of it is about embarrassing myself in front of family. I think I could get past that but then there is looking in the mirror. I can move beyond that as well, after all I’m not alone. The real challenge is figuring out who I am. Hmm. There’s a challenge.

J.D.
J.D.
10/15/2014 10:16
I’m not trying to be cute. For me it has been a challenge deciding how I feel about some of the actions of my protagonist. He’s divorced. He has a son. In one sense he feels betrayed by his wife. Does he hop into the sack with his attractive partner? I mean he’s a living, breathing male. Is he afraid romance will be a replay of his first failure? Is he afraid it was him, that he will be rejected again?That’s where I’m at with it. He feels some of that, and he has to weigh it against his physical… Read more »
10/15/2014 10:34

I’m of the opinion that figuring out who we are is a lifelong pursuit. And then learning to be okay sharing that with the world. I love the way you guys have this deep discussions in the comments–wonderful!

10/15/2014 10:35

Yeah, but all these conflicts also make for a great character! The best protagonists are complex, with lots of conflicting emotions and even values.

Dyoung
10/16/2014 05:39

We all have the angel AND the devil sitting on each shoulder. Weather we chose to admit it or not!